Saturday, July 26, 2008

bike training 7/26

today i woke up bright and early to get in my bike work out.  it called for a 40 - 70 mile ride or 4 hours max.

mike and elaine had us meet at the corner of edgewood and canada in redwood city/san carlos.  they mapped out about a 51 mile course.  and, it was a great day for a ride today!  if i had taken any longer though, the heat might have gotten to me.  good thing i've gotten faster.  =)  as you can tell, i'm pretty happy with the ride i got in today.

normally, i ride just about 10 miles an hour, really slow!  when i got to the turn around point at about mile 31, it was a little after 2 hours, which means i was going just under 15 mph.  woo hoo!  big difference for me.  and, i didn't let myself get too apprehensive when i seen the hills.  you see, normally, when i see a hill, small or big, i tend to settle in wayyyyyy too soon and go REALLY SLOWLY, thinking to myself "slowly but surely."  this time, i attacked each hill pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone.  and i reminded myself on all the straight aways, that "the flats are n0t for resting."  i think that deserves another smiley face.  =)  

on the way to our turn around point, coach mike reminded me that we are going to have a very big day tomorrow and to take it fairly easy.  so i slowed down a bit, and didn't attack the hills as hard as i was during the first half.  in the end, i averaged about 12mph, so still i had a great ride.

can't say i'm looking forward to tomorrow.  we are doing a triple brick that will be lasting 10 hours or more.  =/  so please pray that i can make it home.  hahaha!  i'm sure i will, but will be in great agony on the drive home.  wish me luck!

No comments: