Friday, July 3, 2009

my first and long awaited experience at yoshi's

where do i begin? i have so many emotions and so much inspiration running through me right now, i don't even know where to start. i'll just start with getting off of work b/c really that's when picking up the pieces of my lost soul really begins. when the daily routine is done and i am left with finding myself again and the searching doesn't cease. thank lord i have my friends and family to fall back on. the ones that can somehow bring me back to home base. and slowly but surely i am finding my way. i actually reconnected with some old friends, and one of them made a comment to me that really hit home. i don't even remember what exactly was said, but i do remember how it made me feel. and like i told him, it may have been just words between friends to you, but you made me remember a part of me that i somehow forgot.

ok seeee i told you, soooo many emotions running through me, that i don't know which conversation to start. lol. enough with the tangent, on with my night.

so my night began with cooking sinigang for my family and gizelle. my mom announced the night before that she was making sinigang, i volunteered to make it. so i did, and gizelle came over to eat. sorry i couldn't stay girl, i already had plans. then juv and i were off to dinner. always a good time with a REALLY close friend. we caught up and then it was off to meet with tiffany and priscilla.

i was really excited, i've been wanting and waiting to go to yoshi's to take in a good jazz show. being a music minor, i got study a little about the genre and immediately was drawn to it, but it was such a short part of the course, that i didn't get to fully indulge. well last night was what i was waiting for. the performances from BAYONICS, BIG BROOKLYN RED, and JAGUAR WRIGHT had me in a trance, had me dancing in my seat, my mind wondering in the art and found a connection to my soul. yes all of the above!

bayonics were great. big brooklyn red was awesome. JAGUAR WRIGHT was sooooo freaking AMAZING!!!! she's definitely on my must see list every time she's by me.

i find myself attracted to artists (of any form) that just let it all hang out. that are sooo moved by their own pieces that it moves me. the improvisation, the passion, the soul are what always takes me to a place in my mind that i feel sooo connected with them and the art that nothing around me matters. i swear in my past life i must have been some sort of performer, i love watching and critiquing dance, mostly professional forms. do i dance? no. but i find it funny that i feel like i have a trained eye. i can see where they need to point their toes (probably b/c of cheer), and where the technique needs to have a little more umph, and where the applause is worthy. i love all types of music, as long as the artist can take me to that place in my mind, either with the words, the quality of their voice, or simply a melody or beat of the background music. spoken word! oh how i love the feeling it brings. ok ok i can go on and on about the art i like. i think you can see where i'm going with the "i think i was a performer in my last lifetime."


tiffany! thank you thank you thank you for showing me a great night and making me feel like i've found a missing part to my soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mel, i'm sooo glad you had a such a fun and memorable experience! i think me, you, and scills were all on the same boat getting lost in our thoughts and the places the music wanted to take us. i'm happy that our night was so good that it compelled you to write and express your feelings of love, passion, and fun! let your soul shine, mama! more good times to come... tea.