Monday, August 5, 2013

San Francisco Giants Half Marathon 08.04.13


Yesterday, I ran the San Francisco Giants Half Marathon for the 3rd time.  And, I'm proud to say that I actually did some training for this race! lol

They did change the course up just a tad, but for the most part you start in front of AT&T park, run along the Embarcadero, past Ghiradelli, through the Marina and Chrissy Field to right under the bridge and turn around and go back.

I started to get my Sunday run routine in order as soon as I noticed the date was getting closer.   And, I got an 8.63 mile run 3 weeks ago, so I was feeling pretty good about race.  I don't really get any race jitters for runs anymore.  After 5 years, I think it's just about routine now.

I started the race and was a little worried b/c my knee wasn't feeling right a couple of days prior.  I even took a break from my regular gym time starting Thursday.  So, I ran will the littlest of caution.  I was going to finish this race regardless.  By the time I crossed the starting line, I noticed that 6 minutes had already gone by on the clock, but of course, I also started my RunMeter app.  So, I was off.

I didn't stop until about mile 6 or 7 to refuel.  By this time we were along Chrissy Field right by the trampoline and rock climbing place.  And I was off again.  When I got to the turn around point, I noticed the clock read 1:19:xx.  I thought to myself, "Whoa!  I'm making good time."  I continued to do the math, 1:19 minus the 6 minutes from the start time...if I continue at this rate I'll be done at 2:26...we'll call it 2:30 b/c I know I tend to get a little slower between mile 10 and 11.

I stopped again around mile 8 or 9 to refuel again, by this time we already at the piers on Embarcadero.  I still had about a third left in my bottle, but I didn't want to run out later down the line and I just wanted to be prepared.

At mile 10, they had another clock and this time it read just over 2 hours.  Again, I did the math.  If I'm running about 12 minute miles, I should get in at just over 2:30.  And even if I slow to at 15 minute pace, I'll still get in at 2:45.  Ok, only 3 miles left...keep it up!

At mile 11, I felt my muscles start to tighten.  Only 2 more freaking miles!  At this point, you just go on auto pilot, and make sure your legs just keep moving.  Anything to keep it up. 

As I ran up the sidewalk toward the park, all I'm looking for is the open fence in the back of the park.  Where is this damn fence! lol  You can hear the announcer.  Ok almost there.  You see the people turn in and now you are really almost there!  As you get in the park you see the people in the bleachers and take the park in and see the finish line.  And as I cross, I look at the clock.  No way, does the clock really read 2:36?  Minus 6...what!   I finished in 2:30!!!  Then I finally remembered to stop my  run app.  And that reads 2:31.  Whoa!  I PB'd!

Later, I found out that the times were already posted.  So, we all checked our times.  I officially came in at 2:30:47.

My Replica Ring Medal

The Running Divas #runningdivasf 

me and my medal

The first person I saw when I finished, the running divo! lol Arther

The turn two award, for running both the San Jose Giants Run and the San Francisco Giants Run

No comments: