Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Susan G Komen 5K

On September 26th, I ran the Susan G Komen 5K. I know I usually do events that are longer, like my triathlons and half marathons, but this one had a bit more significance to me. The Susan G Komen foundation is dedicated to Breast Cancer. And, I ran in memory of my Auntie Jeanette who passed away from breast cancer and my mom who is a survivor.

The weather was beautiful and the trail was a great. The downfall...non-experienced runners. Usually, this doesn't bother me, but I was running all the way on the left of the street with just one other guy to my left hand side on the sidewalk. A girl who wanted to pass, simply shoved her way through on my left hand side and passed a nonchalant "sorry," that really sounded like it meant "oh well." So my advice to you newbies...learn the phrase "ON YOUR LEFT!" The person you want to pass will move over, even if they haven't heard it before.

On a brighter note, even with hardly any training beforehand and an exhausting week of Oracle OpenWorld, I was extremely happy with my time.

Oh and I drug my cousin, Mae along with me again. She beat me by a couple of seconds. My excuse: I got stuck behind a group of people that took up the whole street. There was no way of getting around them. Trust me I tried.

Mae Pulido - Bib # 1106 Chip Time: 34:22 Pace: 11:05/min
Melanie Lopez - Bib# 1106 Chip Time: 34:28 Pace: 11:07/min

No comments: