Saturday, March 5, 2011

Family

I have always been so proud and thought I have been lucky to say that I have met and have a close bond with ALL of my grandparents. I now know that not only have I been lucky, but I have been blessed. There's not many people that I know that can say that. I grew up with all my grandparents.

I have a close bond with ALL my first cousins and we all live within half an hour away from each other with the exception of Michael, who is from Jersey. Each side is big as it is, but what makes me even more blessed is that we ALL grew up together. My grandparents are really good friends, and my mom and dad and all their siblings all grew up together. I can't really separate one side from the other. My cousin from my dad's side will call my cousin from my mom's side, simply their cousin and vice versa. And I often have to answer questions from friends asking "Wait, so which cousins are from which side and which and aunts and uncles are siblings?" If you listen to any of my uncles' stories from their heyday, they always include at least uncle from the other side. This is probably one of the main reasons I LOVE MY FAMILY!

Recently, I lost my Grandpa Gil, my mom's dad. Although since his stroke 7 years ago, he's been somewhat immobile, the initial news that he was "actively dying" was quite a shock. And honestly, even if it's expected, it doesn't mean it hurts any less.

My Grandpa Gil was a strong and stern man. Even after his stroke when he lost most of his speech, you knew when he didn't like something or was mad. He lost most of his speech, but he sure could say, "GOD DAMN!," "UKININAM!" HAHAHAAA! And, with his good side, he even threw his cane at someone! Ha! I remember him pretending to be mad at us when he would babysit us, and chase us around the house, from the kitchen to the living room and back again. We hid in the bathroom behind the door, and thought we were slick b/c he didn't find us. In retrospect, he probably pretended to not know where we were. He had this one made up word that he would call everyone, "hinnekloock." And when you asked him what it meant he would say, "You're hinnekloock." And he always used to have juicy fruit gum and peanutbutters, on the top of his cabinet that he always would give me. A month ago when he was in the hospital for some unknown infection, while lying in his bed he still played with me. I winked at him and he winked back, and this went on, on and off for the rest of the night. I miss you Grandpa Gil.

during the 18 roses ceremony at my cottillion


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: