Monday, November 18, 2013

UFC 167 - 20th Anniversary

The gym that I go to for Muay Thai, Evolve Training Center, had a contest called "Refer and You Shall Receive." The basic premise was, if you brought in people and they signed up, you got points. At the end of the contest, who ever had the most points would win. 
 
I didn't really think anything of the contest at first b/c no matter how many people asked me about the gym, or who I brought in, in the past, no one ever signed up. BUT, it just so happened that my cousin finally brought in my nephew for Muay Thai and Ju-jitsu and she happened to also take part in the boxing for fitness class. I say FINALLY b/c I had been telling her for months already to just come in and check it out. And then, she decided to sign both of them up. At this time, I wasn't even thinking of the contest. I was just happy that someone that asked me about the gym, finally came through and would be sharing in my joy. But, lucky me, it just so happened that it was double points week. I wasn't even in the running and all of a sudden, I was a contender. WOO HOO! 
 
In the end, I WON!!! Yesss! The grand prize? A trip to Vegas for UFC 167, the 20th Anniversary of the UFC. That's right, my flight, my hotel, and my ticket for the fights were all paid for. 

I flew out Friday morning, with Mark and Audrey. And we tried for an early check in at the MGM (yes I did stay at the hotel venue!), unfortunately, it couldn't happen. So, we checked our bags in with the concierge and did a little eating and shopping. Later that night, we went to Light at Mandalay Bay and partied it up a little. 
 
Saturday, John flew in and we met with Mark and Audrey for brunch. And later we got to enjoy the fights! The first fight started at 330pm and I must say they didn't disappoint. And, so it had begun. None of the fights were disappointing, even the fights that were not even broadcast on TV were good. And, the main event, GSP vs Hendricks, even with all the controversy following the results, the fight was a great one. Every minute was exciting. The atmosphere in the arena, Bruce Buffer's introductions, the crowd's energy … I'm so glad I was able to experience that. This very well could be the only time that I will ever be able to experience this, I'm so glad that I was able to. It was an amazing weekend.

Thank you ETC for giving me the opportunity to enjoy this in person. So, much better than my big screen. lol 

Oh and I did stand only a few feet from Nick Diaz. No I didn't get a picture with him. I was too shy. I was just shocked that he was right there. And really he and his friends were in their own world, I didn't want to bother him, he was out for a night of fun. 

Here are the few photos that were taken this weekend.








No comments: