Sunday, January 25, 2009

Louie Bonpua Annual Triathlon

Today was the Louie Bonpua Annual Triathlon. In past years, this triathlon was only for those training for Ironteam. So, naturally last year being a part of Ironteam, I participated. This was my very first triathlon ever. For the Ironteamers, this tri is an Olympic Distance, 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 6 mile run. I ended with a time of 4 hours and 51 minutes.

This year the Winter Tri Team, who is currently training for Lavaman, was invited to join the Louie Tri. We were scheduled to do a modified Sprint Distance, roughly a 400 meter swim, 12 mile bike, and 3 mile run. This year, knowing what the course would be like, and knowing that I've already done the whole Olympic Distance, I was feeling quite confident.

First was the swim, and I have to admit, not swimming in the bay for quite some time made me a little nervous about that. But, once I got in and started swimming, it was like riding a bike, it all seemed soooo familiar. I got out of the water in great time, I guess...I heard a familiar voice yelling out a time, but the ear plugs and confusion you feel from swimming in open water restricted me from hearing what the numbers were. As I got my slippers on, I heard everyone I knew tell me what a great time I had coming out of the water and realized the voice yelling out times was DEB, my old Ironteam mate. I was excited to see her. I yelled thanks to her and headed up the stairs to the transition area.

I got to transition and prepared for my bike ride. If you know me at all, biking is my least favorite of the three. But, this time I was actually excited. The course was a bit familiar, and the distance was not scary at all. I mean, I did do 112 miles, and this time last year I was doing twice the distance. Not to mention, last year I did not know what I was doing on the bike AT ALL!

I had what I felt was was GREAT ride, and now it was time for my last event, the run. I took all my bike gear off and put my running shoes on. I went on my first lap and then my second. Although, I didn't get my full running legs on until I was a half way done with my second lap, I was feeling really good. And, from what my former Ironteam coaches were yelling, I was looking strong too.

Knowing my time from last year, and estimating my skills now, I was hoping to finish in just over 2 hours. To my surprise my time as I ran in was 1 hour 55 minutes and 24 seconds. WOO HOO!

It was great seeing my old Ironteam friends and seeing how awesome my mentees did on their first triathlon. I'm sure we were all glad to see the sun out for practically the whole race. Except for the head winds on some parts of the bike course, the weather was nearly perfect...well as perfect as you can ask for in San Francisco during Winter season.

And, a GIGANTIC THANKS to Phil, my mom and dad and Auntie Rose for coming out to support and volunteering for our event.

This is a video that I've posted in the past, but in case you would like to know a little about who Louie Bonpua was here is his story:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I donated today! It's not much, but I hope it helps.

P.S. I so totally admire you for your strength. Go Mel!

Love,
Tiff