Sunday, August 5, 2012

Philippines 07.02 - 06.12

I took a vacation to the Philippines last month and I never got to blog b/c we were soooo busy everyday.  But I did get to take some snapshots with my phone, so instead I'll do a pictorial and somewhat explain the photos on the way. 

Ok, if you're Filipino you already know what this is about.  If you're not, these are basically boxes of items for your friends and family in Philippines.  It's anything really.  Things you think they will like, hand-me-downs, stuff they need for the house..anything.  Kindda like donations for those that are less fortunate that you.

This was my reading material for the plane ride or any down time.  I'm actually sad that I haven't been able to pick it up much since I've been back home. 

I didn't know what "wang wang" was, so I asked my mom.   Apparently, it's supposed to be the noise a siren makes.  I thought it was funny.
My first meal in the Philippines, had me some tocilog. 

The lobby at Shangri-La, Makati
"crampled" but they really meant crumpled

They left this in our room. I thought it was so cute. I've never seen it this small before. I didn't even want to open it.
 

Here's a quick view of the best breakfast buffet ever!!!

Daily selection of freshly made juices.
 

A variety of fresh fruits every day
 

Japanese station:  sushi, sashimi, and miso soup
 
A large selection of all types of breads.  I made sure to stay away from that

Freshly made waffles, pancakes, french toast, and babingka

All different kinds of suman, great with fresh fruit.  I usually eat it with fresh mango.
These are all types of Filipino desserts:  cuchinta, petchi petchi, palitaw, maha blanca, biko, sapin sapin

Yogurt bar

 
There was so many different types of food.  And I didn't want to open all the chaffing dishes, so I'll just try to remember what was there.  There was American, like bacon, an egg station where you can order your eggs to order, hash browns, eggs, some kind of salmon benedict with asparagus, and much more.  There was Indian.  There was of course Filipino, with corned beef hash, champerado, longonisa.  There was Dim Sim.

 
Salad bar.  And I didn't take a picture of the cereal bar and milk bar on the back end of this.

Meat, roasted veggies, and cheese

 

Along with the fresh juices, they had juice shots, I think this day was celery, beets, cucumbers.  In lieu of my juicing, I usually mixes these shots and the other juices to make up for it.

I'd never had chicken longanisa before.  And I actually like this better than their pork version.


Dim Sum


Asian Soup Station


The wall says "don't pee here," so my dad decides to pretend to pee there.


Agoo (pronounced uh-goh-oh), La Union (pronounce la oon-yone) is where my dad is from

We made goody bags for the kindergarten classes at the local school and got to pass them out to all of the kids.  It really touched my heart helping these kids out.  They were all so excited to receive the goodies we provided for them.  Some were even too shy to line up.  

This is my grandfather's front yard.  By looking at this, you would never know that beyond his fence is really a third world country.


Here is what we call the "late bird" class.  We made sure not to forget the kindergarten classes in the afternoon.


Later that night, my grandparents hosted a prayer with the family close by.

This fruit in Filipino is called guayobano.  It's also called soursop.  This was the first time I tried it, and I really liked it.

These are mini crabs that they serve at dinner.  I'd never seen them this little before.

Here are the humongous prawns that they also served.

Just so you can see just how big the prawns were compared to the regular shrimp.

This dessert is called binobudan.  It's basically fermented rice.  It tastes like sake, b/c it goes through the same fermentation process.  It's one of my favorites.  My grandpa made sure to have this ready for me when I arrived!!! =) 

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: